CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 01, 2008

We have been in Elmhurst the past few days. I just want to thank everyone for praying for Erik, Kim and my family. We found out yesterday the my aunt and great aunt had multiple myeloma, so there is a possibility that it is genetic. My aunt passed away a year after my father. This is how I would explain it to my students. Your immune system has both killer T cells and helper B cells. This cancer effects the B cells. The purpose of the B cells is to help you body maintain homeostasis, which is helping it maintain stable conditions. The cancerous B cells found in the blood and plasma are dividing uncontrollably. The doctors took scans of Erik's bones because there are two types of cells that maintain health bones and they are osteoclasts and osteoblast at a balance. In MM the osteoclast reproduce more rapidly causing weak spots in the bones and deprives the bones of essential nutrient like calcium. The good news is Erik has had his bone scanned and they haven't found any weak spots. He has one more scan today of his spinal cord. The other concern since this cancer is in the blood and plasma is how it is going to effect other parts of the body. Last night when I saw him he wasn't doing well. The hospital had given him magnesium to help with his calcium absorption, which made him miserable. MM is incurable but there is the possibility of remission so that is what we are praying for.

It has been hard for us with the loss of my dad, aunt and cousin. Now I know we are going to need God's help through this process and Erik will need strength. Please pray for our family. Thankfully Kim's mother from CA and Michelle, who is a missionary back at the state to raise support, are here to stay indefinitely. Kim's mom has done so much for Erik to make sure that he gets everything he needs. She is even making sure that he is getting chemo treatment so the doctors make sure the have a good balance of the nausea and pain medication, so Erik can be comfortable. I want to thank to all of you who have called, sent flowers, cards and messages. I know your prayers are going to help Erik through this process.

I am starting my research. When I first found out about Erik, I was told his protein levels were high. I told my friend Kristyn and my sister Kirsten it must be something with the mRNA. With the Human Genome Project they have seemed to have identified it on chromosome 4 and 6. IFR4 has to do with protein coding. I am going to be trying to find any and all information about these genes and if there has been any gene therapy performed. For my scientist friends please let me know anything you find.

0 comments: